Do's and Dont's
Do’s and Dont’s – Permitted and Prohibited Uses
Public Data Check was founded with the mission of making it safe and easy for people to find and learn the truth about each other. However, Public Data Check is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information in the databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. YOU SHALL NOT USE OUR SERVICES AS A FACTOR IN (1) ESTABLISHING AN INDIVIDUAL'S ELIGIBILITY FOR PERSONAL CREDIT OR INSURANCE OR ASSESSING RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH EXISTING CONSUMER CREDIT OBLIGATIONS, (2) EVALUATING AN INDIVIDUAL FOR EMPLOYMENT, PROMOTION, REASSIGNMENT OR RETENTION (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO EMPLOYMENT OF HOUSEHOLD WORKERS SUCH AS BABYSITTERS, CLEANING PERSONNEL, NANNIES, CONTRACTORS, AND OTHER INDIVIDUALS), OR (3) ANY OTHER PERSONAL BUSINESS TRANSACTION WITH ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LEASING AN APARTMENT).
You are restricted from using Public Data Check for the following:
You may not use Public Data Check when evaluating a person for employment, reassignment, promotion, or retention.
Hiring of Household Workers
Including, but not limited to, nannies and domestic workers.
Including, but not limited to, leasing a residential or commercial space.
Including, but not limited to, a person’s qualifications for an educational program or scholarship
Credit or Insurance
Accessing the risk of existing credit obligations of an individual or determining eligibility for issuing credit or insurance.
Business Transactions Initiated by an Individual Customer
Reviewing a personal customer account to determine whether the person continues to meet the terms of the account.
- Find long-lost family members.
- Reconnect with an old love.
- Check up on your kid’s new coach.
- See if your neighbor has a criminal history.
- Review public records from most US courts.
- Check yourself out. It’s fun and it may surprise you.
- Scope out your online date.
- Find someone’s current address.
- Be a stalker. It’s creepy and against the law.
- Steal someone’s identity. That’s illegal.
- Choose whether to hire a new nanny for your kids.
- Evaluate someone for a job, credit or insurance.
- Look up celebrity contact information.
- Screen a new tenant.
- Spy on your significant other.
- Contact people against their wishes.